No time for a long gym sessions? Sculpt your entire body with this 10-minute full body dumbbell workout..
Why limit your workout to carving strong arms when you could be sculpting your legs and belly, too? We’ve got just the session for you. ‘This full-body-focused dumbbell workout will get your arms, legs and core working seriously hard,’ raves Rach Penrose, personal trainer for the UK’s first interactive home fitness mirror, VAHA.
Related: Do short workouts really work?
A true multi-tasking workout, this 10-minute full body dumbbell workout focuses on complex moves that work multiple muscle groups in one
go, meaning your arms, abs and legs get targeted simultaneously – and in double-quick time.
‘The exercises I have programmed are quite complex so, if needed, start the repetitions slow to focus on using proper form,’ advises Penrose. ‘When you’ve perfected your technique, then you can speed up the movement.’
Related: How to motivate yourself to go to the gym
How to do this 10-minute full-body dumbbell workout:
Grab a pair of medium-to-heavy dumbbells and find a bit of space. Then, perform each of the following moves in order, working 60 seconds for each exercise. Take a 25-second break between moves and complete the circuit just one time through. Body-blitzing workout done.
10-minute full-body dumbbell workout
- Begin with a dumbbell in both hands, palms facing each other and elbows tucked into your sides.
- Lower your hips into a deep squat, with feet hip-width apart, knees over toes and weight in your heels (A).
- In one explosive movement, extend up your legs and press your hands overhead (B), keeping your biceps near your ears. Reverse to the start position, then repeat.
- Start in a high plank position with each hand on a dumbbell, shoulders over your wrists and feet hip-width apart (A).
- Row one arm in towards your body by drawing the dumbbell towards your hip (B). Squeeze your core so that you don’t rotate your body at all.
- Lower the weight with control, then repeat on the other side and continue alternating.
Weighted Russian twist
- Holding one dumbbell in both hands with palms facing, sit with your knees bent, feet raised and lean back slightly (A).
- Engage your abs and twist slowly to the left (B). Keep the movement small and rotate from the ribs – don’t let your arms swing. Inhale as you go back through centre, then rotate to the right and continue alternating.
- You can either raise your feet off the floor or, to make it easier, have your knees bent and heels digging into the ground.
Weighted sumo squat
- Start with feet wider than a usual squat stance and toes slightly turned out, holding onto a dumbbell with both hands (A).
- Lower yourself down (imagine that you are sitting back into an imaginary chair). Keep your chest high, make sure your weight is on your heels and keep knees tracking over toes (B).
- To drive up, engage your legs and your glutes to push up into a full standing position, then repeat.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing each other, and raise the dumbbells until they are just above your shoulders; your upper arm should be just below parallel to the floor (A).
- Use a slight bend in the legs to create the momentum that helps you to drive the weights overhead (B).
- Repeat with speed.
- Start in a high plank position with a single dumbbell on the ground behind your left wrist.
- Keeping your body as still as possible, reach with your left hand to grab the dumbbell (A).
- Drag the dumbbell under your body and place it behind your right wrist (B).
- Repeat the action on the opposite side, then continue alternating sides.
- With a dumbbell in each hand, start in high plank on your feet or knees, and then perform a push-up (A).
- Next, transition into a renegade row on each side (see page 91; B).
- Still holding onto each dumbbell, perform a weighted get-up by hopping your feet to hands (C), then extending to standing, dumbbells in front of hips and focusing on squeezing the glutes (D).
- Return to the high plank position, then repeat.
Words: Sarah Sellens | Photography: Eddie Macdonald | Model: Nicki Petitt | Clothing: Under Armour Meridian Ultra High Rise Full-Length Leggings, Infinity High Sports Bra, HOVR Apex 3 Training Shoes
- 10 minute fat-burning yoga workout
- 10 minute full body Pilates workout
- Sculpt your arms: at-home superset dumbbells workout